We are delighted and honoured to let you know about a special audio broadcast on performance poetry in Ireland that we recently put together for a special Irish issue of Penduline Press, a literary journal based in Portland, Oregon, USA. Our inimitable host Kalle Ryan was commissioned by guest editor Dave Lordan, to put together an audio selection of the most interesting and engaging contemporary performance poets in Ireland and the end result, an hour long broadcast, can be found at the soundcloud link below. There are, of course, many other brilliant performance poets across this country, but we simply didnt have space or existing audio recordings to include them all in this showcase.
We are very proud of it and immensely honoured to have had so many gifted poets grace our stage over the last few years. We hope that you take a moment to listen to the broadcast and that you enjoy it. Please feel free to share it with any poetry and spoken word fans you may know. We also encourage you to read the entire current issue of Penduline which features a wide selection of great contemporary Irish writing. Enjoy!
* * * * *
“[the brownbread mixtape] is a very professionally run cabaret and it has featured many of the most engaging and entertaining live arts practitioners in the country. Kalle is an excellent host and curator, a fact proven by the popularity of the monthly event. Everybody wants a gig at The Brownbread Mixtape. [ … ] Kalle probably has the closest to an overview of performance poetry in Ireland and he was the obvious choice to make a showcase selection for Penduline.” – Dave Lordan, Guest Editor, Penduline
Poets in order of appearance:
1. Stephen James Smith – Poem: “The Gardener”
2. John Cummins – Poem: “Brink”
3. Abby Oliveira – Poem: “the television”
4. Karl Parkinson – Poem: “The Positivity Manifesto”
5. Raven – Poem: “High John”
6. Erin Fornoff – Poem: “Hymn to the Reckless”
7. Brian Conaghan – Poem: “Waiting for the penny to drop”
8. Colm Keegan – Poem: “Ireland Is”
9. Fergus Costello – Poem: “Extract from a letter to the fella that used to be married to my sister”
10. Kalle Ryan – Poem: Excerpt from Three Men Talking About Things They Kinda Know About”
the brownbread mixtape is a free monthly live comedy, poetry & music show in Dublin, Ireland.
Each show has a theme. Each act does a performance based on the theme. We all have loads of fun. Simple as that.
We can be followed & liked in these places: